Over the last few days the question of authentic leadership keeps coming up in my conversations. I have heard from corporate executives, small business owners and self employed professionals. “I feel like I’m here to make a difference” and “My work is not touching enough people, I want to do more” There is an underlying sense of desire to be more, mixed with a fear of being real, or a sense of being a fraud.
When you tap into your natural talents, you may discover a very strong sense of power. Claiming this power and using it in your business might create feelings of deeper purpose, as well as doubts, You might ask yourself, “who am I to lead?”, or “this is too big!” You may have grown accustom to following other peoples models and systems, many established decades ago. When you infuse your business with your purpose and mission, everything becomes stronger. Including your doubts and fears. It is important to know that upfront so you can prepare.
Here are 5 questions to ask yourself so you can create stay in alignment with your purpose and passion:
1. Is this something that I see as the future for the world, does it contribute to my big vision? Having a big vision for the world does not mean you have to create it alone, it is the big picture you hold for yourself and future generations.
2. Is this something I can claim as my own mission, something I want to be known for? When you feel like you are making a difference in an area that you would like to leave your mark, or create a legacy, will fuel you with a sense of purpose.
3. Is this in alignment with my core values? Your core values are the essence of who you are, they are the reason you feel profound joy or deep despair and the range of emotions in between. When you make decisions in alignment with your core values system, you create a life of peace and joy.
4. Can this project be expressed in a way that aligns with my personality type. Your personality type is how you express yourself in the world. If you are an “Enthusiast” it is important to be out with people, if you are an “Investigator” you want facts, figures and information. An Enthusiast who is an accountant, might not be very happy, unless they find a creative way to inspire and motivate people.
5. Combine your mission, values and personality and you will have the foundation in place and your will know you are living on purpose. When you combine the first 4 steps you will have the magic elixir to living your life on purpose!